Summer Reading
The first student to turn in a summary this summer is....Michael Sanchez. Great job Michael! Don't forget 8th grade, I am expecting you to email me four summaries by the end of the summer. For each summary you do not turn in, a week will be added to the activation date of your 8th grade pin.
Chains
by Laurie Halse Anderson
Hello! The first book I read this summer was Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. This novel is about Isabel a 13 year old girl who was a slave during the revolutionary war. Isabel and her sister, Ruth’s mistress had died and Isabel and Ruth were sold. Her new Owners Mr. and Mrs. Lockton were both loyalists and both faked being patriots. While in New York, Isabel is offered a deal by a slave named Curzon. The deal is, if Isabel can prove to his owners that the Locktons are loyalists she and her sister can be set free, something they have dreamed about. Isabel then starts spying on the Locktons, one night she overheard Mr. Lockton’s plan to assassinate George Washington. She then went to the patriots and reported him. Mr. Lockton then ran away and Mrs. Lockton stayed, because of this she became even more cruel than she was earlier in the book and she sells Ruth. Isabel is so angry that she starts screaming at her owner, she is the branded with the letter “I” on her face, I for insolence. While this was all happening the british have taken over all of New York and were keeping many prisoners, Curzon was one of them. Isabel started bringing food to him and his companions, Ms. Lockton of course found out and Isabelle decided to try to run away. When the timing was right she escaped to Charleston with Curzon. I rate this book a 2 out of 5, personally I found this book really slow and I don't think I will read another of Anderson’s books.
Chains
by Laurie Halse Anderson
Hello! The first book I read this summer was Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. This novel is about Isabel a 13 year old girl who was a slave during the revolutionary war. Isabel and her sister, Ruth’s mistress had died and Isabel and Ruth were sold. Her new Owners Mr. and Mrs. Lockton were both loyalists and both faked being patriots. While in New York, Isabel is offered a deal by a slave named Curzon. The deal is, if Isabel can prove to his owners that the Locktons are loyalists she and her sister can be set free, something they have dreamed about. Isabel then starts spying on the Locktons, one night she overheard Mr. Lockton’s plan to assassinate George Washington. She then went to the patriots and reported him. Mr. Lockton then ran away and Mrs. Lockton stayed, because of this she became even more cruel than she was earlier in the book and she sells Ruth. Isabel is so angry that she starts screaming at her owner, she is the branded with the letter “I” on her face, I for insolence. While this was all happening the british have taken over all of New York and were keeping many prisoners, Curzon was one of them. Isabel started bringing food to him and his companions, Ms. Lockton of course found out and Isabelle decided to try to run away. When the timing was right she escaped to Charleston with Curzon. I rate this book a 2 out of 5, personally I found this book really slow and I don't think I will read another of Anderson’s books.
MS
Chains
“Chains” by Laurie Halse Anderson is about how the protagonist Isabel who is a thirteen-year-old slave who works for the Locktons, a loyalist family in manhattan with her sister Ruth. Isabel works under the cruelty of Mrs.Lockton. She is a mean and miserable woman who herself is abused by her husband, Isabel and Ruth was promised freedom from their previous owner Miss Mary Finch. But she died before she could free them, before she died she taught her slaves how to read and write. When she died Miss Mary Finch nephew inherited everything including Isabel and Ruth and sells them to the Locktons. Later on Isabel and Ruth got separated and Isabel struggles to find her sister and seeks freedom. An interesting quote, “ A scare is a sign of strength… the sign of a survivor.”
“Chains” by Laurie Halse Anderson is about how the protagonist Isabel who is a thirteen-year-old slave who works for the Locktons, a loyalist family in manhattan with her sister Ruth. Isabel works under the cruelty of Mrs.Lockton. She is a mean and miserable woman who herself is abused by her husband, Isabel and Ruth was promised freedom from their previous owner Miss Mary Finch. But she died before she could free them, before she died she taught her slaves how to read and write. When she died Miss Mary Finch nephew inherited everything including Isabel and Ruth and sells them to the Locktons. Later on Isabel and Ruth got separated and Isabel struggles to find her sister and seeks freedom. An interesting quote, “ A scare is a sign of strength… the sign of a survivor.”
JC