Summer Readers Responses (8/29/2014)
Chains
by Laurie Halse Anderson
This week I read Chains by laurie halse anderson this book is about two girls isabel and ruth they are two thirteen year old slaves in the american revolution and one day they are bought by two slave owners mr and mrs lockton they had lived in newport but her new master moved to new york even though it was controlled by patriots.
I thought this book was very good I liked the wording the description and the story in general like the beginning quote “The best time to talk to ghosts is when the sun comes up” this quote sort of showed the struggle they went through and i would definitely read it again.
I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because it was really good
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because it was really good
LO
by Elizabeth George Speare
The main character is Kit, a girl growing up in the 1600’s. After living her whole life on the island of Barbados, she suddenly must leave when her grandfather, who is her only caretaker, dies. Her only option is to sell everything she has to pay for passage to america, and live with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in connecticut. Living with them, she experiences a lot of culture shock, especially when she has do chores and housework, and things she had slaves do for her in Barbados. The only person she enjoys being around is Hannah Tupper, a lonely old woman who lives in a hut by the pond with her cats, and who everyone except for Kit believes is a witch. Kit is forbidden to talk to her by her uncle, but she keeps going, which later causes her to be accused of witchcraft herself, after a disease comes through the town she lives in, and the town council blames Hannah Tupper, saying that she and Kit created the disease with witchcraft. This leads to Hannah running away, and Kit being put on trial, with most of the town wanting her to be hung.
I really didn’t like this book, mainly because I hated most of the characters, especially Kit. When she first got to connecticut, she was horrified at the thought of having to do any work, and couldn’t believe that she was expected to do the jobs that she used have slaves do for her, which was kind of snobby of her. I would rate it 2/5, just because it got a little bit better towards the end.
I really didn’t like this book, mainly because I hated most of the characters, especially Kit. When she first got to connecticut, she was horrified at the thought of having to do any work, and couldn’t believe that she was expected to do the jobs that she used have slaves do for her, which was kind of snobby of her. I would rate it 2/5, just because it got a little bit better towards the end.
TN