What is Reader's Workshop?
This term students in grades 6-8 are reading nonfiction texts during Reader's Workshop.
Lessons are teaching students to read nonfiction with a critical lense.
Currently, students are developing research skills; such as how to identify credible online sources and citing research. They use these skills to research an era which correlates with the independent text they are independently reading.
Students learn skills which have to then be applied in new ways.
Here is what some students think about Reader's Workshop:
"Right now we are learning in text citation to help us not plagiarize. I enjoy that we get to read articles and magazines and apply the skills from the lessons. I enjoy watching the videos that connect to the lessons. " -Livy
"We are learning about copy write laws. It's important to give credit to the writer for their work. I like that we get to split our time with reading a text and reviewing important skills." -Sophie
...texts, reading partners, and laptops are some of our research tools.


