A Safe Learning Environment

Mustard Seed teachers prioritize creating a safe and supportive learning environment for all students.

Teachers 6-8th grade were interviewed with this leading question…
“How do you create a safe learning environment in your classroom?"



Señiora Oro-Hahn 
Spanish, Worship Leader

(see picture below) "It's used differently for different ages. In 2nd and 3rd grade, kids can choose to go there and read a book when they feel they need to refocus, or just relax and read a book. In 4th-8th it has been a take a break spot which has a different kind of meaning I think. Last year, we had too many kids and I set up a desk there."



Ms. Buckley 
MS Art & STEAM

"I will make the art room a place where students can take risks and know it is ok to fail.
I will make my classroom a safe space this year by modeling appropriate language to use during art critiques."


Mr. Choi
Science, History, and Ethics, Sixth to Eighth Grades

"I want my class to be a place where all students feel heard and appreciated. I want it to be a place where students feel open to voice their opinions and partake in some civil discourse. I want students to disagree and stand up for themselves and at the end of the day I want them to respect and honor each others ideals, culture and identity."


Mr. Lawrence
Pre-Algebra & Algebra

"We are working hard to create safe spaces throughout the middle school by focusing on 'belonging' during the first weeks of the school year. In 7th and 8th grade math classes, we are working together as a whole class group. We take a few minutes at the start of each class to do greetings. We also make sure to carefully consider the idea that we are all mathematicians. We all belong in this class, and the participation of each one is needed in 'performing mathematics' every day. We will talk, socialize, make mistakes, consider strategies, get stuck and get unstuck together. Every voice and every idea is needed. And together we will combine our different gifts and talents. We will learn and grow together."


Ms. Buys
6th Grade Literature, Language Arts, Math

"Giving students the opportunity to work with new people in the activities they experience each week helps create a closer community."



Mr. Harris
Language Arts, 7th & 8th Grades

"One of the things I love about MSS is its commitment to intentionality. From the schedule to the class structure, MSS is committed to ensuring each classroom is safe for the student. In my classroom, we have a brief meeting at the beginning and end of the day. We circle up and greet one another and play a quick game in the morning, and at the end of the day we circle up close in prayer. It seems so simple, but circling up reminds us that we are part of a community, and that constant reminder ensures that the students recognize the safety of their environment. Without the safety, a student will find it difficult to truly invest in their studies, so for me, it's a sure priority."


Dr. Smith
Music Teacher Grades 6-8; Worship Coordinator

"In music, students are often asked to step out of their comfort zone to play a new instrument or learn a new piece of music. Before we begin, we often think about what may be challenging. Then we troubleshoot and students suggest ways to handle challenges or how they might react if someone else experiences difficulty. This creates an atmosphere where students can learn to fail well and try again."


Resources:
Learn more about learning differences

Apps to support diverse learners



Gladys specializes in educating students who have multiple disabilities and vision impairments. Gladys is excited to be a part of the Mustard Seed community and sharing God’s love in all she does. She hopes to introduce tools and resources to make the classroom more invitational and accessible to students of varying learning needs.
This blog was written by Gladys Wu.
"I am excited to be a part of the Mustard Seed Community and bring my expertise of working with children who come from diverse backgrounds, have various learning needs, and carry a range of academic abilities. I hope to utilize tools and resources that make the classroom more invitational and accessible to all students, while sharing God's love in all that I do." 




Popular Posts