Time for Produce!
If you were walking down the fourth floor hallway recently, you may have heard sixth graders singing about produce to the tune of the Caillou theme song. This was one of their advertising techniques for the Thanksgiving service project. For the past couple of years, sixth grade students lead the Thanksgiving celebration and a service project to collect food for the Hoboken Homeless Shelter.
Two weeks ago, students travelled to the shelter to learn how they could serve during the Thanksgiving season. Students heard from guests and workers about the shelter. They were able to ask questions and create a list of things to raise for the shelter.
Here are a few quotes from students about the trip to the shelter:
- "After we went, I felt really good because I knew that I was helping people. I understood more that people need some extra help, but it's not because they can't do anything; sometimes life happens. "
- "It was inspirational, gave perspective, and made me want to help people."
- " I felt moved because they all had stories and it was cool to hear what they thought and to make connections with them. "
- "Most people expect that the homeless shelter is for people who don't have homes but it is also for people who need help socially or economically."
Students are motivated to raise food for the shelter! In addition to a song, students created posters to hang up around school, including the one below.
Two weeks ago, students travelled to the shelter to learn how they could serve during the Thanksgiving season. Students heard from guests and workers about the shelter. They were able to ask questions and create a list of things to raise for the shelter.
Here are a few quotes from students about the trip to the shelter:
- "After we went, I felt really good because I knew that I was helping people. I understood more that people need some extra help, but it's not because they can't do anything; sometimes life happens. "
- "It was inspirational, gave perspective, and made me want to help people."
- " I felt moved because they all had stories and it was cool to hear what they thought and to make connections with them. "
- "Most people expect that the homeless shelter is for people who don't have homes but it is also for people who need help socially or economically."
Students are motivated to raise food for the shelter! In addition to a song, students created posters to hang up around school, including the one below.
We hope to see you at the Thanksgiving celebration on Thursday at 8:30! Bring produce!

