Ahh . . . . it's that time again: Back to School Night!
Yes, this the evening in which you rush home after work so that you can freshen up and race to get to school (and find a parking space) so that you can be on time for some educational festivities at MSS. For some of you, going home first is completely out of the question, so you head to school straight from work having some kind of dinner-snack-to-go. Certainly, all this, along with the task of making child care arrangements makes for a pretty challenging week, doesn't it?
I say this, not to paint a dim picture, but to acknowledge, again, how much I know it takes for parents to make it to a Back to School night. I want to add that I also really respect the many pains you take in order to attend this event each year, all still arriving in good spirits.
To help with your planning and with your spirits, I wanted to let you know a little of what you will soon see when we gather here on Thursday. On this important night - and in just an hour - we hope you will:
That is certainly a lot to do in one night. Still more, this is the night when we, together, begin to create a strong year at school, a year in which everyone learns in surprising new ways.
I say this, not to paint a dim picture, but to acknowledge, again, how much I know it takes for parents to make it to a Back to School night. I want to add that I also really respect the many pains you take in order to attend this event each year, all still arriving in good spirits.
To help with your planning and with your spirits, I wanted to let you know a little of what you will soon see when we gather here on Thursday. On this important night - and in just an hour - we hope you will:
- See teachers in person.
- At listening conferences or High School Advisement conferences, you met a homeroom teacher. At Back to School night, you will meet all the teachers that make up the middle school team.
- See the classroom and get a glimpse of your child's daily school life.
- This includes so many parts of your child's daily life: birthday celebrations, nutritious snacks, dress code, arrival and dismissal procedures, and more.
- Review curriculum & instructional plans for the year.
- Among other things, this will include curriculum syllabi, your child's weekly schedule, homework & assessment practices, and field trip and overnight trip information.
- Take note of how we will stay in touch this year.
- Discuss the use of technology, student email accounts, and its importance for learning this year.
- Share the hopes and dreams that you have for your child and also the ways in which you might join in helping us grow and learn together as partners this year.
That is certainly a lot to do in one night. Still more, this is the night when we, together, begin to create a strong year at school, a year in which everyone learns in surprising new ways.
Back to School Night: Thursday, Sept.26
7:00 - 8:00 PM Parents of Grades K-3
7:30 - 8:30 PM Parents of Grades 4-8
(This is an adults only night.)