Summer Reading (8th Grade)


Tangerine

Soccer is the center of Paul’s life. When he and his family move to Florida, and Paul finds out that his school soccer team isn’t very serious, he convinces his Mom to send him to a different school. Tangerine Middle. At Tangerine they don’t just play soccer for fun or as an activity, they play it as a serious sport, as a life or death type of game. Paul begins to get used to Florida, and he falls in love with the glorious scent of the tangerine trees. When he finds his home is built on top of an old tangerine farm Paul is confused. Why would they cut down perfectly good trees just to build a few houses? It just doesn’t seem to make sense. I read Tangerine by, Edward Bloor as my last summer reading book.

“I stared through the window at the endless rows of trees-orange, tangerine, lemon-flying past us on either side. I rolled down the window and let it all in. The air was clear and cold. And the car immediately filled up with that scent, the scent of a golden dawn.”

I chose this quote because it describes Paul’s love for the tangerine trees and how he enjoys the scent and the look of the trees flying past his window, I like how it ends the book on a bitter sweet note and how by the end of the book, questions that I had from the beginning of the story were answered.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 because I enjoyed the story very much however the beginning was very hard to figure out. It had a slow start but then the story got really interesting and fun. Many parts of the book make me want to recommend it to grades six and up because of some violent and startling scenes.
-IP

The City of Ember

This week I read The City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau. This book is based on a girl named Lina Mayfleet and a boy named Doon Harrow. Lina, a twelve year old, Doon and their classmates have to chose a job. When they were done with school at the age of twelve, Lina had a job at Pipeworks Laborers and Doon had a job of being a messenger which Lina had wanted. Both were unsatisfied with their jobs and so they traded. One day, Lina went home and saw her grandmother looking for something very important. She also found her little sister, Poppy, eating a piece of paper out of an old box and before Lina could see it, it was torn and ripped apart by Poppy. Lina took a piece of the ripped paper she found, and it had an interesting writing on it, so she took the pieces of the ripped papers and she started examining it closer. As Lina found some of the writing readable, she needed a little help along the way. Doon and some people, that she could trust, decided to help too. Nevertheless, one morning, Doon and Lina went to the Pipeworks. They saw a door but it was locked. They thought it was the way out of Ember but it wasn't. The next day, Doon went alone and found a key. As soon as he opened the door, inside was the Mayor, sleeping with all the lights on, and anything you could have to survive in the City of Ember. It wasn't until later that Doon told Lina about his discovery. Later, Lina and Doon figured out the text of the ripped paper and on it was the way out of the city of Ember. Lina dreamed about this moment that she could get out of the City of Ember and it was her chance. However, the guards found out about Lina and Doon's plan and they wanted to arrest them. The place where they were going was very safe and sound. As they heard the news of Lina being pursued by the guards, she made a run for it. As Lina thought about her sister, Poppy, Lina took her along in the trip to get out of the City of Ember. Along the way, it was tough for Lina, Doon and Poppy to realize that they were going away from their city. When they were going to the place away from Ember City they were thinking about how living in harsh conditions, as it was getting more and more dangerous every day. As they arrived in their destination, they found out that they were living under Earth. They wanted to share the news but it was too late. As soon as Lina and Doon were writing a letter to their friend, they dropped it underground hoping that someone they knew would catch it. Thankfully, Lina old friend, Mrs. Murdo found their letter and Lina hoped for the best to share the news with everybody. Lina, Doon and Poppy were waiting for someone to come out of the City of Ember and come into Earth with them.

The quote that I chose:

“The mayor turned to look for the bell. This was the moment when Lina had planned to make a dash for freedom-she thought she had a slim chance to succeed if she moved fast enough-but something happened in that instant that gave her a head start.

The lights went out.” (219)
-SS



A Wrinkle In Time

Meg has been mistreated among her classmates. the teacher and fellow classmates all call her stubborn and full of trouble. she lives at home with two twin brothers, and a younger brother, Charles Wallace who seems to have a really intelligent mind. Their dad has been missing for a while and they just so happen to stumble upon something their father had been working on called a tesseract. This invention is said to hypothetically bend the fabric of space and creates a portal across the galaxy. In search of their father, Meg, Charles Wallace, and their friend go on a space adventure to rescue their dad.


“A straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.”
This quote takes place when Meg and Charles are being told how the tesseract works. It works like a string. say your trying to get from end to end. say that is 12 inches. but if you bend the two ends together you have maybe a few millimeters.

I personally love this book. I had originally watched the movie first but that was a long time ago. ever since watching the movie hearing people mention the book maybe me think of all these visuals. So reading this book for the first time maybe me enjoy it more. The plot held up quite well, it did not side track that much. the characters were a little dull not a lot of life to them, the only one that intrigued me was Charles Wallace because the story revolves around him and his intelligence. I would rate this book 3.79235/5.
-JE

Chew On This
Chew on this is about anything and everything about fast food. It covers the entire history of how fast food became a reality. It goes from burgers to French fires to how the animals are treated. For example the book tells you about factory line workers using knives cut themselves so much and how they develop a problem called "trigger finger" which is when they hold a knife so long their finger gets stuck in a curled position. The book tells you all about these weird little things that you probably didn't want to know; mostly because it's all gross and just plain weird.

"The simple answer is this: the companies that sell fast food don’t want you to think about it. They don’t want you to know where it comes from and how it’s made. They just want you to buy it."

I choose this quote just because of how true it is. When you walk into a chain restaurant or fast food place and your hungry, you don't think. You just spend money on whatever nasty chemicals, bugs, feces, and whatever else could be I. Your burger or chicken or French fries. You also don't think about how the food your eating was treated when it was alive. This is definitely a book that will make you aware and paranoid at fast food places.

I would rate this book 4.5/5 because overall it was an amazing book. Sometimes it got a little boring but there is so much to learn that you want to know what your eating, so you don't stop reading. At other points it got a little disturbing and specific with gruesome details but otherwise it was not bad. It is an informational book which means there isn't a really specified age group, just maybe not under 4th grade.
-JE

The Dragon's Boy

The dragons boy, written by Jane Yolen, is a version of Arthurian legend just told in a slightly different way. Artos, a boy being parented by people that brought him into their castle as a baby, wont quite fit in there. he is treated not as kindly and his "Brothers" make fun of him all the time. one day as he is walking outside the castle he stumbles into a dirty old smelly cave where there happens to be a dragon. what are the odds. after speaking to the dragon the dragon tells him that if he brings him soup he will trade him his wiseness and gems and books (oh my!). one day when he returns the person impersonating the dragon reveals himself. yup, no real dragon. The mysterious man and Artos work together and the man shows him his life destiny.

"Old Linn?" Artos was shaking with anger. The dragon, so powerful, so dangerous, so all-wise his secret father, his teacher, his friend was this? On this he'd expended his fear, his faith, his . . . his love?"

This quote is right when artur finds out the dragon is actually a person imposing the form of a dragon to impress him. The reason I choose it is this book was lacking tons of good quotes to talk about, this one being one of the main parts of the book.

I would rate this book 2/5 because I thought it was kind of boring. it was short, the storyline was kind of dull and just there was more story to be told. It was an abrupt ending and I wish it had been continued to a point where the ending would be in the right spot. And the last line was just plain cheesy. "And I... I am the Dragons Boy."
-JE

City of Ember
In the book city of ember, The world is at its end. A long time ago humans built a civilization underground because for some reasons life on the surface was to dangerous. their whole city is running of huge generators keeping he lights on. with out the power, their all dead. And slowly, their generators are failing. Doon and Lina, our main protagonists have just been asigned their jobs for life. Their jobs are stuff like being a messanger from person to person or repair lights and stuff. one day when Lina goes home she finds a slip of paper that indicates a way out of the city, a way to make it to the surface when the power dies. This book follows the story of how Doon and Lina make their escape out of the city to make it to a safer place.

“There is so much darkness in Ember, Lina. It's not just outside, it's inside us, too. Everyone has some darkness inside. It's like a hungry creature. It wants and wants and wants with a terrible power. And the more you give it, the bigger and hungrier it gets.”
The reason I choose this quote is that I feel it shows how much their city is falling apart, not just literally but also in the people and how the act. Everybody is in a kind of "bad" mood and they are not really happy.

I would rate this book a 3/5 just because I think it was for a younger audience, and it felt really cliche. they find something that will save the world but only they can save the world and such. I probably wont end up reading the other books just because I didn't exactly enjoy the first one. but I would suggest this book to anyone from 4th to 6th grade.
-JE

Private Peaceful
Tommo peaceful (or private peaceful) can't sleep through the night. Over the course of one night tommo recalls his childhood and his past. He remembers his childhood nightmares, the times he had fun with his brother and friend Molly, and the times that his brother stepped up for him. Tommo and his brother Charlie were best friends (Charlie being only a little older)
And Charlie would always be there for Charlie. Charlie would take blame for him and get beat by the teacher, and Charlie would always watch his baCk when they would steal fish from the stream. One day tommo is on the Main Street of his town when a parade of solders come in to recruit young men for world war 1. As his brother Charlie and their friend Friend Molly grow closer and fall in love, he realizes that he is ready to go of to war. The story then follows his life through the war seeing people die, the times he was near to death, and the times that life was ok for a few minutes.

"You'll be all right, Tommo," he says."you'll be fine." He knows my thoughts. He sees my terror. He knows I want to run."Just do what I do, right? And stay by me."
The reason I chose this quote is because it shows how much Charlie stands up for Tommo, it really shows he is the big brother. This quote is Charlie calming down Tommo right before their about to go into a huge battle. I love this quote because during this book Charlie is really mad at Charlie for falling in love with Molly. Tommo loved Molly so much and then Charlie just stole her from him. This quote shows how in the end, their right by each others side, that they still are brothers and friends. Charlie always stood up for Charlie even in the middle of battle and he could be equally scared, but he realizes if he is scared, his brother will be too.

The reasons I liked this book would have to be the way it's written. The whole book is one night of Tommo recalling his life, so every chapter is titled "Ten past twelve" and stuff like that. Every chapter there is about a paragraph where its present time in the middle of the night. The book builds up until the morning where something is going to happen and for the entire book we don't know what will happen right up until the end. It's very much a mystery because you keep wondering "what's going to happen?" You don't know if he will die or he will go back home, or worse. That's why I like this book, it kept me reading until the end.
-JE

Tangerine

I read the book Tangerine by Edward Bloor. The book is about a kid named Paul, his brother Erik and his parents who moved to a new city located in Tangerine, Florida. The reason why they moved from Houston, was because Erik, Paul’s brother, plays football in highschool and his ultimate goal is to make a career from playing football, hopefully performing before good college scouts in Florida. Before I keep talking about Erik Fisher’s “American Dream,” let’s talk about Paul, the “Average kid,” that doesn’t get a lot of attention. So, Paul is an average kid that lives a hard life under his brothers fame. He also has a problem with his sight from a “Freak accident” he’s legally blind but he can technically still see, (it’s complicated). So as you see, his life is around his brother, Erik’s football career but Paul has special talents himself like playing soccer. Paul was a star goalie back in Houston, but his father never seemed to notice the talent of his son Paul … but that kinda changes later on in the book.


Paul Fisher: Paul is a bright and polite kid but he’s not confident, which is basically the opposite of Derek Fisher. Paul, now attends a new school and he’s planning on joining the Soccer team in school, (Seagulls) but the coach finds out he’s legally blind so he can’t join the soccer team. Paul, eventually gets a second chance when the school falls in a sinkhole and he transfers to a new school, a troubled school. But he actually fits in there with the soccer, yeah I forgot to tell you her mother deleted the files saying that she was legally blind. And he Eventually finds his way into the starting goalie position and saves the game winning shot in the championship.

Erik Fisher: Erik Fisher is a Evil kid with a bad attitude and will do anything to make himself look good even if it means make others look bad for it. Other Colleges are swarming him with calls a contracts but Erik just want more and more attention like he’s feeding on it like he needs it to survive, he’s actually not a humble player and the only person that knows that side of Erik Fisher is Paul. and Erik is actually the one who makes Paul go blind too. but you’re going to have to read the book to find out how.

I really liked the book and I liked how the Author kept you into the book and I liked how there was a little mystery in the book too. I rate this book a 10/10 and rate it to the Middle School.
-DB

Code Orange By Caroline B. Cooney

Ill tell you this right off the bat if you can’t handle germs and or infections then you probably shouldn’t read this, just giving you a heads up. Our story starts In the year 2004 in the City of New York. Mitty Blake is the main protagonist in this book, he’s goes to a high school called St.Raphaels and he’s the type of student who’s a laid back type of guy until one day where in his advanced biology class he is assigned a project on infectious disease. Problem is is that Mitty hates work, but if he doesn’t get this project done and turned in on time he will be kicked out of advanced biology and if he gets kicked out he’ll never be able to see his crush Olivia. during the entire school year. Mitty rushes to find books to use in reference to make notes and while in the process finds one book that has an envelope that reads “VM Scabs 1902 Boston” and inside he finds scabs instantly deteriorate in his palm, then he unintentionally breaths the scab particles in. He continues to research the disease VM and finds out that VM stands for Variola Major and that its another name for a the deadly disease smallpox. As Mitty does more research on his disease he vaguely  remembers the scabs that he found and instantly receives the mindset that he has caught the virus and he  is a ticking time bomb. Mitty finds that there is no cure for the virus, and now it’s a race against the clock to save his city from what could be a potential smallpox outbreak. Or could something else threaten New York City that isn’t smallpox itself. What if it's a whole group!? Theres only one way to find out.

“Mitty Blake Prayed “Dear God What I need here is courage. Don’t let wimp out. I hate wimps. Don’t let me get scared. Don’t let me screw up I don’t have time for that. Neither does New York.””

I thought this book was awesome! Pretty much what the author did in the story line was take an infection, fear, feds, and bioterrorists and mixed them all together. The book had a great plot and the characters were described with enough detail that one would still be interested in the book and not get bored, although not my questions where answered. Oliva and Mitty did start dating but after Mitty is “Captured” the book never makes itself clear whether their still in a relationship or not. Also the book had a lot of detail the aspect of disrobing areas and small little things that I found unnecessary and annoying. But in the long run I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to 7th grade(Who can handle not getting grossed out by germs) and up because of the description of the diseases that are mention in the book and rate it a four out of five.

-SC

A Wrinkle In Time(The Novel) By Madeleine L'Engle

Our story begins with a girl named Margaret Murry sleeping in her attic room on a dark and stormy night. She remembers her family: Her little brother Charles Wallace, The twins, Her mother, and her father.  Her father had left for a top secret government project being that he was a scientist and never returned.  She had always missed her father ever since and to her he was the only one that could ever understand her. Then she remembers her problems at school and the fact that she is abnormal and the fact that they call Charles a baby who doesn’t know anything, that makes her miss her father even more. She then decides to head down to the kitchen to where she finds Charles with a glass of warm milk, she doesn’t know how Charles always knows what she is feeling but she doesn’t care. While they drink their mother shows up to join them and as they talk they hear their dog barking out front and a strange figure makes her way into the kitchen. Her name is Mrs.Whatsit and Charles instantly recognises her and greets her. They later find out where Charles knows Mrs.Whatsit from and before she leaves she brings up that there is such thing as the “Tesseract”. This strikes Mrs.Murry hard and Meg and Charles discover that this was the project their father had been working on and decided to go to Mrs.Whatsit's house to learn even more about the “Tesseract”. On their way there the next day they meet with a boy named Calvin and become friends and continue on their journey to the house. Upon arrival they are welcomed and told that they will be needed for a mission, for what they don’t know. Later that night a relationship status is formed around Meg and Calvin by a conversation that leads up to the point where Charles says it's time for them to leave with Mrs.Whatsit and her two companions Mrs.Who and Mrs.Which and they are “Tessered” to another planet in two which they are exposed to “The dark thing” which is a great evil terrorising all planets and causing destruction to people. Their mission is to go to the planet Camazotz save Meg’s father, defeat the dark thing or better known on the planet as IT and get rid of the evil once and for all. Although that is not easy, The trio must stick together and protect Charles and resist IT get Charles back along with Meg’s father.

“Who have our fighters been? Calvin asked. Oh you must know them deer Mrs.Whatsit said. Mrs.Who’s spectacles shone out at them triumphantly “and the light shineth in the darkness and the darkness comprehended it not”. Jesus! Charles said “Why of course Jesus!”

I thought this was an amazing book. In 6th grade I had read the graphic novel and thought this was an amazing story, but now to pick up the actual book and get to savor the language word for word. I also like how there was christ references in this book, from what I can recall there are at least three references to biblical text one of them being an actual verse. You could also tell the imagination that was put into the book, like how Mrs. Whatsit and her friends could shape shift into different beings, or how aunt beast and her beast family were described, and fifth dimension travel!. I really did enjoy this book and the only thing I hold against it is the beginning because it is really slow and kind of makes the reader not want to get into the book, otherwise I find the book a huge success and totally worth my time reading. I would rate it a 5/5 and recommend it to anyone who wants to read it and has a wide imagination.
-SC

Private Peaceful By Michael Morpurgo

The story of “Private Peaceful” takes place in a barn in France during World War 1. Private Thomas “Tommo” Peaceful sits quietly while fighting of sleep trying to wish that the morning of the June 25 1916 will never come. He must not sleep or else he will get shot by the enemy, to pass the time he remembers his past. Recalling all events that ever took place in his life. When his memories first begin filling the first few pages of the book Tommo thinks of his father and the fateful day he saved him from getting killed by a falling tree limb and sacrificing his own. Later on he remembers his life without his father starting at his funeral, this is when Tommo begins to explain about his other members of his family and “Grandma Wolf”. Tommo is the youngest out of three boys and has two older brothers who are named Charlie and Joe or “Big Joe” as they like to call him. Joe has some “disabilities” that don’t allow him to go to school so Charlie and Tommo are the only ones that get an education. Their mother whose name is not mentioned does her best to support the family as best as possible and loves every one of her children, she especially has a bond with BigJoe being that he stays home. This is not the only bond that is in the book, Tommo then goes on to describe the his first day of school and how Charlie was there for him all the way, this is how the brothers bond takes place and forms throughout the book. Tommo then talks about his first love Molly and how they met and eventually had a threesome/foursome bond with all the peaceful boys. Tommo talks about how life was growing up with her and then having “Grandma Wolf” coming in to take care of them as their mother works at the big house as an attendant for their property owners wife the Colonel. Tommo describes her as wretched and evil and that he and Charlie would make up bedtime stories of her having evil children with the Colonel and living unhappily ever after. After all of this Tommo writes about his life as a teenager up until he has found that Charlie got Molly pregnant and that they are going to have a child, Tommo somewhat devastated is left depressed but yet happy, Charlie and Molly eventually get married and then after seeing soldiers and hearing about the war Charlie forced by the Colonel joins the army to go into war, being that the bond between Tommo and Charlie is so strong Tommo joins his brother as well. Tommo thinks about his training and then fighting up and how his brother was there for him. until the point Private is Peaceful is shot.


“I look around, Charlie is no longer next to me. He is in another line, he winks at me and I wink back and he laughs”.

What did I think of this book, well to be honest this book had a major plot twist that can only be realised when reading the last two chapters of the book. The reason why Tommo is dreading the morning of tomorrow is because he knows that his beloved brother will be shot and killed for defying orders and protecting him. He knows this is the last of Private Peaceful. I thought this was smart of Michael because up until that point we think that Tommo is going to get shot when instead it is his brother. Besides that I enjoyed the way Tommo described his life, the author wrote in a tremendous amount of detail that made me feel if I was actually there. But due to all that detail one question kept lingering around my head as I read which was “How does he remember every single little thing so clearly”? Another thing that left me uneasy was at the end, where Tommo describes that he is going of to keep fighting in the war. I know that not every story has to have a happy ending but I mean come on, I really wanted to know how Tommo ends up after the war. With this being said I would rate this book a 4.5/5 and recommend it to 7th grade and up.
-SC

Private Peaceful

This week I read Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo. The main character is a boy named Thomas “Tommo” Peaceful, and the story tells his journey before and after he decides to fight against Germany in World War 1. He goes through troubles of training, and dealing with his first love by talking aloud to the reader, as if telling us his story personally. As Tommo follows his older brother Charlie into war, he goes through trauma, emotional and physical, and deals with life as a soldier. Tommo showed a lot of growth throughout the story, and he has a unique way of thinking, shown through his narrative.

“But I mustn’t think like that. It’s no good wishing for the moon, no good wishing for the impossible. Don't wish,Tommo. Remember. Remembrances are real.” (76, Morpurgo) I chose this quote because I thought that it was interesting. Tommo’s given up dreaming and wishing, and he’s forcing himself to remember all the hard things that have happened in the past. Sometimes you have to accept the past and move on, and that’s a really good life lesson. This is one of the things that I often have trouble with, although not as bad as Tommo. It was nice to have something in common with the main character.

I have to say, this book really surprised me. I expected not to like it, but I didn’t want to put the book down. I know Tommo is based off of many real people, and it saddens me, but brings me hope. I loved the writing style of the author, switching between past and present in every chapter. It made me feel like I was in the story, for once, alongside the characters helping them fight in their battles and rejoicing in their good fortune. The way the author wrote made me want to know more about the First World War, and want to learn more about soldier life. I felt like I had a few things in common with Tommo, and usually when the reader can connect with the book, it shows that it was written well.
-VV

A Wrinkle In Time

This summer I read A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L’Engle. The book revolves around the idea of time travel. Margaret “Meg” Murry and her family get a visit in the middle of the night from a stranger. Her younger brother Charles Wallace claims to know this stranger, named Mrs.Whatsit, and talks to her like an old friend. A day later, he introduces Meg formally to Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs.Which and Mrs.Who, who all seem to know a lot about something called a tesseract. Before Meg and Charles know it, they’re on a journey with a new friend named Calvin, to save their father from the clutches of IT, a brain controlling a town of people through their minds, and conforming them to zombie-like people. But between all this drama, Meg also deals with facing her own flaws and trying to fix her family.

“‘And we’re not alone, you know, children,’ came Mrs.Whatsit, the comforter. ‘All through the universe it’s being fought, all through the cosmos, and my, but it’s a grand and exciting battle. I know it’s hard for you to understand about size, how there’s very little difference in the size of the tiniest microbe and the greatest galaxy. You think about that, and maybe it won’t seem strange to you that some of our best fighters have come right from your own planet, and it’s as little planet, dears, out on the edge of a little galaxy. You can be proud that it’s done so well.’” (88-89, L’Engle) I chose this quote because I thought it was important. It talks about how people from our earth are and were fighting against the evils of the world, and the darkness trying to overcome their minds. It’s good to know that some people are doing good things in this world. It’s also interesting to think about how we describe everything with meaningless words and colors and terms such as ‘size’ and ‘shape.’ I liked how the book was centered around time travel, because it gave me an idea to consider, and it made me think about the possibilities and prospects of time travel. I also thought about the upsides and downsides to time travel. I loved how the book also talked about things like self-discovery and the importance of having a family. I would rate the book five out of five and I would recommend it to all ages, because I think everyone could benefit from something in it, and I think it has something for everyone. I especially enjoyed this book because it’s a classic, and the author’s use of description was amazing.
-VV

The Lightning Thief

This summer I read The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. It’s about a twelve year old boy named Percy Jackson. On a school field trip, he gets attacked by an substitute math teacher that turns into a monster, and his latin teacher gives him a magic pen. Then, his mom decides to take him on a trip away from Percy’s mean stepfather, but they’re intercepted by another problem, ending in his mom getting kidnapped while trying to get Percy to safety. Percy wakes up in a place called “Camp Half-Blood,” and soon learns why he was sent there: the Greek Gods are real, and he has been accused of stealing Zeus’ weapon of power, his lightning bolt. Percy goes on a quest to prove his innocence, taking two companions along, and together they have a wild adventure. He learns that many myths are actually real, starting with the fact that Greek Gods still exist. This book includes life lessons about family and friendship, and it’s humorous too.

“‘I’m saying it’s no accident Poseidon has claimed you now. It’s a very risky gamble, but he’s in a desperate situation. He needs you.’ My dad needs me. Emotions rolled around inside me like bits of glass in a kaleidoscope. I didn’t know whether to feel resentful or grateful or happy or angry. Poseidon had ignored me for twelve years. Now he suddenly needed me.” (Riordan, 145) Because this book is fiction based on Greek Mythology, most people might tend to overlook the other parts of the book. For example, how much distress Percy is really going through. He felt unwanted, and he was told he was in danger. He had to grow up with one parents, as did a lot of the other demigods, and they still had to act tough and fight battles and monsters. Demigods have to survive as a mortal, knowing there are two sides that can kill them. If I had to do that, I’d probably find myself dead within seconds, or in deep turmoil. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and not only because I’ve read part of the Percy Jackson series before. Because it is told from the mind of a character with ADHD and Dyslexia, it was easy to understand and there was just enough detail without going overboard. I loved how the characters are developing throughout the book, and plan on reading the entire series as soon as I am provided with the time to. Rick Riordan made the characters believable and the bonds he created between them were extremely realistic. I would rate The Lightning Thief 4.6 out of 5 because sometimes it was just a little too easy to wrap my head around, and a little too predictable, but even so I got immersed in the different predicaments and dilemmas Percy got himself into. I think anyone from 12 and up could get lost in the plot and situations that occur in the book. I would recommend it also to any children who have ever felt different or left out, or anyone who has ever felt abandoned.
-VV

City of Ember

This summer I read City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. It’s mainly about two twelve year-olds living in a city of darkness. With the lights constantly flickering into blackouts, and the mayor hiding secrets, the entire town is afraid that one day the light might never come back on. Doon Harrow, a curious boy who is tired of standing around, decides to make the best of his Pipeworks job and dig around in the tunnels for a way out. Meanwhile, a messenger girl named Lina Mayfleet is also searching, looking for an escape, but hoping not just for an exit, but for a utopia. As hopeful as two lonely kids can be, they race against time to save the light on the outside, before it disappears completely. They work together, and one day, Lina stumbles upon a tattered piece of paper with fragments of words that she believes are “The Instructions” for leaving the city. But by the time Doon and Lina have found the egress, they have a hard choice to make - leave behind everyone they’ve known, or risk everything in hopes of bringing everyone to the new land.

“Over and over, she’d drawn the same city...Lina could see this city so clearly in her mind, she almost believed it was real. She knew it couldn’t be, though. The Book of the City of Ember, which all children studied in school, taught otherwise. ‘The city of Ember was made for us long ago by the Builders,’ the book said. ‘It is the only light in the dark world. Beyond Ember, the darkness goes on forever in all directions.’” Throughout the story, the author talks about how Lina has a vision in her head of a better city, a beautiful city, full of color and light, and she desperately wants it to be real. Her wants are overwhelming her, and every second she thinks about finding a way out, even reviving her own friendship with Doon, despite how they stopped talking. The author also chose to talk about how the darkness is not only outside but also on the inside, consuming us with wants for commercial things like art supplies and special foods, when there is barely enough normal food to ration for everyone. This quote shows how the city has grown up brainwashed by the past and present mayors. Most people have given up trying to find another city. But Lina and Doon’s perseverance says a lot about their personalities and characters. Themes that really stuck out to me in reading this book were poverty and family. The residents of the City of Ember are extremely poor and running out of supplies, yet they still try to get along with others and take care of one another. They are a family, although some of them rebel, and some of them will treat each other as if they aren’t related and never have been. Take the mayor, for example. He’s selfish, mean, and hopeless, but some people still side with him. Most people protest against him and are harsh to him, but they never try to overthrow him. The city is small and they have to work together to make it work. I would recommend this book to fifth or sixth graders because it was an easy read, and the plot was okay but it could use some developing. I would rate it 3.5/5 because I liked the details and descriptions, but the plot could use a little fixing. 
-VV


Chew On This

Have you ever wondered what makes McDonald's french fries taste so delicious? Though the answer is disturbing, it is something you may want to know before returning to the land of Chicken Mcnuggets and Big Macs. Chew On This explains everything (literally everything) that happens behind the drive thru counter and what those “yummy” Chicken Mcnuggets really contain. This book brings you to the “farms” where the livestock are raised and the horrible conditions workers are in while preparing the livestock to become those yummy meals you purchase on your road trip or way to work. Chew On This is a fascinating novel about what happens behind the scenes at popular fast food restaurants.


“For years McDonald’s had said that its French fries were cooked in pure vegetable oil and could be eaten by vegetarians. Shah had heard that there was beef in the fries--and he was very upset when McDonald’s sent him an e-mail admitting that ‘a miniscule amount’ of beef was indeed used for ‘flavor enhancement.’ Shah realized that every time he’d eaten French fries at McDonald’s, he’d broken one of the basic rules of his religion.” I selected this quote because it is from my favorite part of the book. This is when vegetarians, hindus and jains realize that they had been breaking basic rules of their religion or way of life. I really like the way that Schlosser describes the anger and outrage that these groups of people had towards McDonalds and other companies who later admitted they too had used beef as a “flavor enhancement” for their french fries. Though they had tasted good, it had made thousands of people realized they had broken their way of life every time they had bitten into a McDonalds french fry.

I would rate this book a 5/5 because I really enjoyed the author’s writing style and the topic was really interesting. I really like the way that the authors explained everything but the only bad thing about this book was that you probably wouldn’t want to return to any fast food restaurant. I would recommend it to students from fifth grade to adults because it might be too many facts for a fourth grader to take in but above that age group, I think anyone would enjoy it.
-IP

Private Peaceful


This novel is told from the point of view of Thomas (Tommo) Peaceful a teenager living during World War I. The story starts when Tommo is in his hometown living with his brother Big Joe who has a learning disability, his brother Charlie, and his Mother. The beginning of the story starts when Tommo starts school. Tommo meets a pretty girl named Molly in Charlie’s class and immediately, Tommo wants Molly to be his best friend. As the story develops, Big Joe, Tommo’s brother, goes missing right after the death of their family hound, Bertha. They search for him everywhere they can think of with the help of most of the town. They have no luck until Molly comes and hints at where he might be and he is found there no less than 15 minutes afterwards. Later, the soldiers come through town to recruit some new people to join the troops to fight against the French. Tommo wants to join the troops to help out the country. When he announces it to his family, they all think it’s a crazy idea. But when the colonel comes to their house to inform Charlie and Tommo that they are going to be drafted to the army, the family doesn’t have a choice but to have them go.


“It's no good wishing for the impossible. Don't wish. Remember. Remembrances are real.”

I like this quote because it shares with the reader that these stories are memories of the past and not current events happening at the moment. This point in the story is when the reader starts to understand that this part of the book is not a story of current events but of ones that happened in the past.

I would rate this book a 4.5/5 because I really enjoyed the whole story, it definitely kept me interested. The plot was very intriguing and I loved the way the book acquaints you with the characters. The only reason I excluded the .5 is because some parts of the book disappointed me, and I understand that the book needs some low-points but there were so many that it made me very sad.
-IP

Sarah's key

Sarah's’ Key tells a story of two women, a young girl named Sarah, and a middle-aged woman named Julia. The book starts off with Sarah being collected by the Parisian police officers during the roundup of the Jews in 1942. Sarah panics and locks her brother in a secret cupboard to keep him safe. She keeps the key in her pocket whilst being herded into dirty, grimy quarters along with thousands of other jews. Meanwhile, in the year 2002 an American journalist living in Paris is given an assignment to write about the 1942 Vel d’Hiv roundup. Julia gets too caught up in the research and ends up finding out that her future apartment was acquired from a jewish family. Julia finds herself trying to convince her husband to move out of the apartment, not being able to live with herself if she ended up living there. Meanwhile Sarah attempts to escape in order to rescue her brother from the cupboard.

“The girl wondered: These policemen... didn't they have families, too? Didn't they have children? Children they went home to? How could they treat children this way? Were they told to do so, or did they act this way naturally? Were they in fact machines, not human beings? She looked closely at them. They seemed of flesh and bone. They were men. She couldn't understand.” I like this quote because it shows the confusion and misunderstanding that Sarah had. In this quote she expresses her frustration and confusion as to why and how the police officers could do such a thing. She ends up answering her question with the conclusion that the men weren’t in fact men, they were machines. But as she looked closer, she observed that they were humans, and then goes back to the state of misunderstanding.

I would rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 because I enjoyed the author’s writing style but I do think that some of the chapters could’ve been shortened and made this a more enjoyable read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book but would recommend this to readers eighth grade and beyond in order to understand all of the content.
-IP

A Wrinkle in Time


This week I read A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle. It was about a girl named Meg. She has three siblings and a mother. Her father is gone, but not dead. He is in another planet. It all began during a stormy night. As Meg Murry went downstairs to her youngest brother, her favorite, Charles Wallace, who was making chocolate milk for her. Then came her mother. As they were talking, Charles Wallace was making sandwiches and they were interrupted by someone surprisingly opening the door. Nevertheless, it was Mrs. Whatsit, Charles Wallace’s friend. Then, Charles Wallace wanted to introduce Mrs. Whatsit to his family. The next day approached, and Meg thought it was just a dream but her mother assured her that it wasn’t. After school, Charles Wallace persuaded Meg to visit Mrs.Whatsit and they found Calvin O’Keefe coming to see them too. As soon as they visited them, Meg and her brother invited Calvin to eat dinner with them to get to know him better. At the same night, they met again Mrs.Whatsit with her two friends, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which. Suddenly, something happened. Somehow Meg couldn’t see her home anymore and she could only see Charles Wallace, Calvin and the three ladies. They were in a different place in a different planet out of earth and they were trying to find Mr. Murray, Meg’s father. The search went on and on and they saw amazing and deadly things. As they found their father, someone captured Charles Wallace. The only way to save him was by love and Meg did it all by saving her little brother and by loving him. Finally, they all went back to Earth, safe from harm and content with the feeling that Charles Wallace and Mr. Murray were safe and sound. After a long time, Mr. Murry was home again.

The Quote I chose was:“‘Because you aren’t you,’ Charles Wallace said. ‘I’m not sure what you are, but you’—he pointed to the man on the chair—’aren’t what’s talking to us. I’m sorry if I hurt you. I didn’t think you were real. I thought perhaps you were a robot, because I don’t feel anything coming directly from you. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but it's coming through you. It isn't you.’”(119)
-SS

Truesight


This week I read Truesight by David Stahler Jr. The main character, Jacob, is a boy who lives in a territory where everyone is blind. The territory is called Harmony. One day it all started, when Jacob, while looking for Egan, instead finds Delaney, who was trying to run away. As soon as he tries to convince her to stay, it was too late. Two men already saw them, and Delaney and Jacob decided to run away. However, they ran in different directions. As he got home his mother said she heard that Delaney was dead. Ever since then everything was strange. As Jacob's birthday was coming closer, he had a terrible migraine. Since then, his eyes were odd, as if, he could see. At first it was just a blur, but three weeks later he could see clearly. He could see the action going on, the faces of his friends and family and much more. Nevertheless, he wished sometimes that he could not see because of the searing pain in his eyes that occurred a few times. Jacob saw the pain in the outside, such as, a man getting hurt, a thief, etc. Jacob couldn't keep it a secret anymore so he told Egan, thinking that he could keep it a secret as well, but it was a big mistake. As for the next day, Egan told the high counselor. Soon, everyone had known everything and the people were saying what cannot be seen is true beauty. Later on, Jacob found out that Delaney was not dead, but alive because she ran away. As soon as he found out that they were going to remove his sight, Jacob could not take it no longer and ran away from Harmony for good.

Quote I chose:

“‘Know what? What are you talking about?’The high councilor demanded.
‘I know about Delaney. I know you lied-she’s not dead. She ran away.’
There was a long pause as the high councilor processed Jacob's words. ‘You're a clever boy, Jacob. However you found out, it doesn't surprise me. Yes, she ran away, but I doubt she survived.’”(238)

-SS
Elsewhere
This week I read Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. It is about a fifteen-year-old girl named Elizabeth who likes to be called Liz. Liz, without watching both sides of the street, got into a car crash while bicycling to the mall to get her watch fixed. The next thing that happened was that Liz woke up in a cruise ship with no idea where she we going. She thought that she was dreaming, but she was not. Liz was truly dead. As Liz had to face the truth that she was dead it was a hard time for her to understand. In Elsewhere, she meets her grandmother Betty, and a friend. Betty tells Liz that everything is the same as in Earth, except the ages of the people are going backwards until they are babies and they will return to Earth. Liz is not fully understanding what her grandmother is saying, but tries to live her life to the fullest in Elsewhere. While in Elsewhere, she gets a job and she receives a dog named Sadie who later on lives with her. One day, she remembers that there was a present for her father. She tries to talk to her family in Earth, but sadly she was caught by a boy named Owen. As soon as Liz gets caught, she explains her reasons for why she tried to make contact to Earth. After explaining, Owen tries to get everything fixed and he does. Then, Liz and Owen became friends and quickly after, they became in love with each other. While in love, he explains that before Liz came along, he was twenty-six when he died and he is missing his wife, who he has not interacted with for ten years. Several weeks came along and soon his wife died out of a flu. When his wife, Emily, came, he wanted to have his relationship back with Emily, but it didn't work out. After all of the drama, he finally found his senses that he belonged to Liz. Finally it came to a conclusion that after all of the stress, everyone was happy at the end. As the years went by, Liz once again was a baby. She will never though forget all the fun times she had in Elsewhere and being her own self.

Quote I Chose:
“Oh, there are so many lives. How we wish we could live them concurrently instead of one by one by one. We could select the best pieces of each, stringing them together like a strand of pearls. But that’s not how it works. A human’s life is a beautiful mess.” (240)

-SS

Knots on my yo yo string by jerry spinelli

This summer I read Knots on my yo yo string by Jerry Spinelli. I thought it was a very simple book very intriguing as well. I never really read a lot Jerry’s books before so this book is going to be some what challenging for me. I not so interested into biographies before i mean i read some but it’s not my favorite type of book, but i  think jerry did a good job on keeping the book interesting in my opinion. I would say this is my personal favorite books that i have read this summer I would put this book on the top 3 this would be rated 1#.

It starts of Jerry as a boy a nice respectful boy who was 9 years old when he lost his best friend ( a dog). He suffers many things during his middle  school life ; being sent to the principal's office certain times, getting officiant grades for what was to come, and lots of studying. When he entered into high school he wasn’t such  of a crazy teenager he was calm and organized he rarely got in trouble. Did i forgot to mention Jerry was a great at untying knotted yo yo strings. He was well know for that in school as well.

The book ends when he’s near the end of high school. And he decides he want to be a lawyer but soon he realizes his best profession was to be a author. He was strong at it  too he did certainly had a great imagination when he was a kid at to this day on. He has well known books sold to many kids and adults.

I really enjoyed this book it was so great i never really got bored in it was so exciting to read, and very dramatic as well. I really read books that have some type of action in it im not a big fan of biographies I think most of them are so boring but not this one! I would rate this book a 10-10 stars! Why? because When i read most books even fiction or fantasy i get bored in some part but this never got me bored, and i'm satisfied with that. Im looking forward to read more of his books.
-PS



Among the hidden

This Summer I  read among the hidden by Margaret Haddix. The book takes place at lukes house (The main Character) in his room which is in  an attic. Luke is shadow child which means he can't go outside and has to be indoors because the government wants to own the farmland and take  their land which make lukes family money. Ond day Luke sees a girl in her window and finds out her name was jen. She had access to the internet and he finds out that there are shadow children just like him, and that Jen's father works for the police.

Lukes parents never let him out of the house or not even let him go near windows! One day he sees a girl through his window and one day runs to her house and finds her there. And she had access to the internet as well. He discovers that her father was working for the population police (which is a department where they kill people like shadow kids) and that There were kids just like him (shadow children). Jen wants to rebel at the capitol, But luke is afraid that he was going to be left behind, jen thought a bunch of shadow children were coming, but no only 40 came. and the population police shot every single one.

After a few days of not seeing jen he fears the worst. He finally goes over to her house and finds his father and he tell luke that Jen was killed.  Then he offers luke a fake ID. Luke goes on his new life  at boarding school  as “lee grant” and he never was discovered  again.

My favorite quote was said by Jen she said to luke “ hope doesn't mean anything….Actions the only thing that counts.” The reason why I like this is because i found it not true in a situation like this if i were in that situation i would have been scared and i would hope that  no one would find me. I mean if that actually happened to me i would be terrified I would protect myself and have hope at the same time. But i don't really understand jen in that quote. I would rate this book a 6-10 stars. One reason is that it was pretty boring in some parts but very attentive and lots of action in most of this book.
-PS

Stepping on the cracks

This summer I read “stepping on the cracks” by Mary downing Hahn.  This book takes place in the time during world war ll.  Its about a girl named Margaret and her best friend Elizabeth being bullied and soon helping their bullies brother that escaped from the war (which is illegal) .The brother of the bully’s name was Stuart and the bullies name was Gordy. I would rate this book 7-10 because the story plot was very interesting, and i thought the process was very slow and I don’t really enjoy reading books like that.

Margaret and Elizabeth have 1 brother both of their brother go to war and fight for their families and country. Soon they found out that their bully (Gordy) has been hiding his older brother from the war that he said he would fight in, but he didn’t, he escaped.  The two best friends made a deal with Gordy and they never tell anyone about his older brother Stuart.

During the book as it became winter they realized Stuart was awfully sick and the kids could not take care of him so they asked for help from one of Margaret's friends Barbara. Barbra and her parents take care of stuart until he was all better. At the end of the book The friends find out that Gordy has a abusive father and hits him and his wife. He gets arrested. And Gordy and the best friends wait until the war was over.  And the horrible new would come.

My favorite Quote from this book is said by Gordy “ Look I know My brother is a flake for doing what he did, but he's my brother, I have to do something i Love him” Gordy said that to the best friends Margaret and Elizabeth. Ok when i was reading I never really Read Gordy Saying the word “love” or using words like that so that was really shocking.

-PS

Private Peaceful
by:Michael morpurgo

This summer I read private peaceful by Michael Moore Pugo. Its a book mainly about Thomas's(the main character) childhood before the war had started and how so much changed during the years. He experiences bad times and good times throughout the book ( as a regular life). He has 2 brothers and he mainly goes through his journey with them. There names are Big joe and Charlie.

By the piece was a book about a guy named Tom is peaceful and he has a brother named Charlie peaceful and he lives in the same house together they have a disabled brother named big Joe. Charlie and Thomas have have a love for Molly who is a girl who is in Thomases class when he attended school for
The first time. Years pass and Charlie, Molly and Thomas have a close almost to family relationship. Molly always visits Charlie,Thomas, and big joe.

After many long years of Charlie and Thomas’s life they discover there was going to be a war, world war ll. One evening Charlie was working at the market until he heard trumpets playing and singing. He went outside to discover the noises. He finds a parade full of marching soldiers with  shiny boots and shining helmets. He thought that  if he became a soldier at the age of 15 his mother would love him more, and Molly and Charlie would give him more respect. eventually he and Charlie joined because  the colonie made them. Thomas and Charlie go to war together until the war ended.

My favorite quote from this book is said by Thomas " this war is going to change his whole family and us". That quote was strong and impacted me I know anyone could say it in these kind of books but the situation that Thomas was in I think that's one of the reasons why I think it was very impactful on me. I have never been into war or never lived through it but if it ever happens I will Peter my family just like Thomas. Even though he is the youngest out of his two brothers.
- PS



The one and only Ivan
by: Katherine Applegate


This summer i read The one and only Ivan  By:Katherine Applegate, this book is about a gorilla named Ivan who is a silverback gorilla. He doesn't live in a jungle like an ordinary gorilla. When Ivan was a baby gorilla his parents were killed by poachers and ivan ended up in a stationary circus on the top of a mall called the big top mall. Ivan never had a good childhood with his parents so the circus trainer Mac treats Ivan as if it was his child. Year by year Ivan has Learned human Language and could nearly understand everything.


Ivan gets along with all the animals in the circus. Ivan grows a family relationship with all the animals in the circus.But Ivan had a real good relationship with Bob who is a dog and Stella an old Elephant. One day Stella dies and Ivan made a special promise to make. Ivan the mighty silverback  must save a little baby elephant that Stella loved and adored before she died.Ivans mission is to save  her from cruel animal captivity. if you don't know who Ruby is well let me tell you ruby is a baby elephant who was taken away from her elephant mother, Mac bought her to make the circus in business and to gain more money. And that's how ruby ended up in the big top mall circus. Similar story to Ivan's story. when Ruby came to the circus Mac didn't train her like Ivan thought they should be trained, Mac hit ruby in order for her to learn to preform.


Now Ivans task is to bring ruby to the Wonderful place Stella called… the zoo. Ivan thinks about how he is going to get Ruby out of the circus. Eventually Ivan comes up with a very brilliant silverback Idea he tries his best to make a nice painting that shows Ruby going to the zoo. He makes Julia (a human friend of ivan's) to send this painting to julia's dad who works as a circus janitor. People come to the Circus like never before huge crowds of people cameras recording Ivan. Later People protest to Let ivan and ruby go. Mac fires george and closed down the circus. So Ivan and Ruby are moved to the “amazing place” the zoo. Ivan Kept stella's promise and learns to be the mighty silverback he is.


“A good zoo” Stella said a large domain a wild cage. A safe place where humans don't hurt.”
I chose this quote because this is where stella dreamed of going but sadly Stella died and wanted ruby to go there.

- PS

Travel Team by Mike Lupica
           
            Travel Team is about a boy named Danny Walker who is very good at basketball. He tries out for a travel team that he usually makes, but this time he doesn’t because the coach thinks Danny is too short. Danny isn’t happy that he didn’t get to play for this team because he knows he is good enough to be on it even though he is short. Then one day Danny’s dad, who was once a professional basketball player, comes back to town. He is also angry that Danny didn’t make the team. Then Danny’s dad decides to make his own travel team. Will they be good enough to compete?
            I liked reading this book. It was interesting the way the author was really able to describe how much basketball meant to Danny. I also liked how Danny’s father was able to do something good for Danny. Danny’s parents are divorced and until his dad started the basketball team, he and Danny had a hard time being together. I liked seeing their relationship grow. I also liked the way the author was able to write about the games. He made them very exciting. I recommend this book to people who like basketball and stories about fathers and sons.

- HA

Private Peaceful

This week I read Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo. The book takes place from 1914-1918 during World War 1. The main characters, Thomas Peaceful and his brother Charlie Peaceful, go through a hard stage in their lives. For example, during World War 1 the British, French, and Belgian armies were fighting against the Germans and needed recruits. That meant all boys who were old enough to fight in the war had to join the army in fighting against Germany. When Thomas and his brother went to war, their mother was worried that her boys would be killed. An interesting but sad thing that caught my eye was that over 290 soldiers were executed by the firing squad. Many of them we now know were traumatized by shell shock.

When the boys got to the campground they registered as twins and had to wear heavy boots and a heavy uniform to be a soldier.  At first the Peaceful boys had a mean master who bossed them around, but then a gas tank exploded and killed him. After their master was killed a nicer master took his place and taught the boys how to dig a hole big enough for them to hide in and how to shoot a gun straight. They also learned how to survive with very little food. One day Thomas got shot in the foot and broke some bones, so he went home to go to the hospital to get it fixed. After his foot was healed, he went back to being a solder, but he later deserted the army and was killed.

Overall I did not like the book because some parts of it were confusing and not interesting to me at all. One of the parts that was confusing was at the end of the book when it talked about how one of the brothers was going to be shot for his cowardice.  Another part that was confusing was when it talked about how the army needed recruits, and how a toothless woman tried to push the Peaceful boys into the crowd of solders and asked them, “You are not a coward, right?” At first when I read this book it did not make sense to me until I read it again and understood the book better. If I were going to read this book again I would probably want to focus more on the story plot.
- SL

Wonder by R.J Palacio

This summer I read Wonder by R.J Palacio. The book tells the story of a boy whose name is August and is going into fifth grade. Wonder takes place in the suburb of Manhattan, north river heights in the year of 2012. Most of the action in the book takes place in a small school called Beecher Prep. When August was born, he was born with a genetic disorder and, had to have thirty surgeries on his face. His face was really deformed and people always looked at him funny. Since then he has convinced himself that his face is ugly. For example, his eyes are an inch downward from a regular person. And his ears are like small cauliflowers.
At first, August did not like the idea of going to school because he was homeschooled until fifth grade. The reason why he was worried about going to school was because he did not want people staring at him and making him feel uncomfortable in school. At school he met a girl at lunch whose name is Summer. Every day, they sit together and talk about how their day is going. On his birthday his mother gave him a bowling party and some of his classmates came along with his grandparents and summer. The kids were in one lane and the adults were in the lane next to them. Summer was a true friend to August and would listen to him when he was talking to her. In the end of the book August ends up getting the Henry Ward Beecher medal for acknowledging volunteerism and service to the school. After he received the award he felt accepted into the school and did not feel like an outsider anymore.
I have read this book so many times and every time I enjoy the book more. I think overall I really like the book and the plot of the story. I wonder if the author wrote other books that I may enjoy as well. I wonder what the author was thinking when she wrote this book. I also wonder what inspired her to write this book in the first place.
- SL

Al Capone Does My shirts


This summer I read Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko. The book tells the story of a twelve-year-old boy named Moose. He lives on the island of Alcatraz with his “younger” sister Natalie, his mom, and his dad. The story takes place in 1935 when, Moose was entering seventh grade. At that time, Al Capone was one of the most infamous prisoners there. Unfortunately, Moose’s Sister has autism. More than anything, Moose wanted his life to be normal. He also wanted to be able to count on his family to take care of Natalie, while he pursues his dream to play baseball with his friends.
The family moved to Alcatraz so that the father can work as a guard and electrician for the prison. They also moved so the can pay to send Natalie to this school named Esther P. Marinoff. There, they would be able to help her learn. Natalie ended up getting kicked out of the school. The family hired a tutor to help her get ready to go back to the school. Moose’s mother started to teach kids piano lessons so she can pay for the tutor. That left Moose in charge of Natalie all the time. In the result of that, he could not pursue his dream in playing ball with his friends. When the tutor thought that Natalie was ready, she tried to convince the head master that she was ready but he said no. Finally, Moose stepped in and sent a letter to Al Capone asking for his help. Then a miracle happened. The head master of the school opened a new facility for older kids and Natalie was the first student. In the end Moose got a note in his shirt that said “done”. Al Capone was responsible for getting Esther P. Marinoff to open a new facility for older students.


I thought it was interesting that when Alcatraz people lived there to work and go to school. Here are some examples I came up with. First, I thought is was interesting that the prisoners had the responsibility of doing the laundry of the people who were not in jail. Second, one of the funny things that happened in the book was that the warsdents daughter set up a money-making scheme. She told the kids at school that Al Capone did the laundry on Alcatraz. She told them that for 25 cents they can have there shirts laundered by Al Capone. The kids snuck their laundry into the staff’s laundry bag to get washed by the prisoners. In the end the kids at school did not really know and did not trust that Al Capone did the laundry. When the warden found out about the scheme he was really mad at the kids. As a result the warden said that if anything happens like this again the fathers would lose their jobs.
- SL

Rules By Cynthia Lord


This summer I read Rules by Cynthia Lord. The book tells the story of a girl named Catherine. She lives in Maine with her younger brother David, her mom and her dad. The story takes place in the summer when she is twelve years old. Unfortunately, Catherine’s brother has autism. More than anything, Catherine wants her life to be normal. She wishes she had a normal brother, and she wishes that her brother would not interfere with her wanting to make friends. Catherine makes up a lot of rules for David so he knows how to behave. At the end of the book, she realizes the rules are set up to prevent her brother from embarrassing her.
It was Catherine’s friendship with Jason that helped her realize that she shouldn’t feel embarrassed about her brother. Jason is a boy who showed up at the clinic where David goes to OT.  Jason is seriously disabled. He is confined to a wheel chair and can’t speak a single word.  He communicates by pointing to words in his communication board on his wheel chair. Catherine is a great artist. They became friends because she was making words and drawing pictures to go on his communication board. In the end, Jason accuses Catherine of being embarrassed about being seen with him. She is able to face her fear. She first has to apologize to him about her behavior, and then she goes to the dance party with him.  When she is at the party she breaks a big rule of hers. “No dancing unless I am alone in my room or it is pitch-black dark.”
The author uses quotes in the beginning of every chapter. This is my favorite quote.  “Saying you’ll do something means you have to it, unless you have a very good excuse.” This is so important because if you tell someone you are going to do something, the other person is relying on you. If you don’t do what you said you were going to, do you are lying to the other person and cheating your self.


It seems hard to grow up with a brother who has autism. Catherine feels like her life revolves around David. He gets all the attention, and she feels angry because she wants attention too. In the end, she accepts she can’t always control how David acts, but she loves him very much no matter what.

- SL

Popular Posts