Middle School Music on the Brain
The other day, I was shopping with my sister in a store that caters to ladies of a certain generation. We were having a great time and were delighted to find that we could sing along to almost every song that was being broadcast throughout the store. We laughed as we noted that given the soundtrack, we were most certainly their target demographic. Ok, so I admit, I still have a particular affinity for Michael Jackson. Why? Because when I was in 7th grade, I ADORED Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson’s Thriller was the first album I owned. I still know every word to the title song. I can also still sing every song I learned in Junior High Chorus.
How is this possible? According to Daniel J. Levitin in his book, This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of A Human Obsession, “Part of the reason we remember songs from our teenage years is because those years were times of self-discovery, and as a consequence, they were emotionally charged.” (p.225) He goes on to state that this causes the neuro-pathways to wire together because the emotion flags it as significant.
The early teenage years are important in terms musical development. As students realize that the world is full of different cultures and ideas, they also realize that the world is full of different music. This is the time when they start to express a preference for their own music. They also want to listen to the same music as their friends. For some students, these are the last years they will have music classes in school.
In middle school music, it is the time to broaden students’ experiences. Their brains are forming new connections at a very high rate that will slow down after adolescence. According to Levitin, “...new music becomes assimilated within the framework of the music we were listening to during this critical period.” (ibid, p.227)
With this in mind, the middle school music curriculum is designed for students to explore many types of music both in general music and in chorus. Next Thursday, May 26, you can hear the fruit of this year's study at the Upper School Spring Concert at 7pm in the gym. All middle school students will be performing!
The photos and captions below capture some of the the many experiences students have had this year. When I look at the photos, I wonder how these experiences will influence their musical choices moving forward. I hope they will be inspired to be life-long musicians and musical explorers.
After a study of the music of George Gershwin that dovetailed with their WWII study in history, the entire middle school went to Broadway to see An American in Paris.
Students in chorus worked with Fred Meads from the American Boychoir School as part of the Choral Festival. At the Festival, they also sang with the Harlem Vocal Ensemble.
Students have been singing folk music and playing ukulele.
Guest artist, Andi Gunden came to teach swing dancing.
Zandi Sutton, a parent from South Africa, came to teach drumming and dance as part of our African drumming study.
How is this possible? According to Daniel J. Levitin in his book, This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of A Human Obsession, “Part of the reason we remember songs from our teenage years is because those years were times of self-discovery, and as a consequence, they were emotionally charged.” (p.225) He goes on to state that this causes the neuro-pathways to wire together because the emotion flags it as significant.
The early teenage years are important in terms musical development. As students realize that the world is full of different cultures and ideas, they also realize that the world is full of different music. This is the time when they start to express a preference for their own music. They also want to listen to the same music as their friends. For some students, these are the last years they will have music classes in school.
In middle school music, it is the time to broaden students’ experiences. Their brains are forming new connections at a very high rate that will slow down after adolescence. According to Levitin, “...new music becomes assimilated within the framework of the music we were listening to during this critical period.” (ibid, p.227)
With this in mind, the middle school music curriculum is designed for students to explore many types of music both in general music and in chorus. Next Thursday, May 26, you can hear the fruit of this year's study at the Upper School Spring Concert at 7pm in the gym. All middle school students will be performing!
The photos and captions below capture some of the the many experiences students have had this year. When I look at the photos, I wonder how these experiences will influence their musical choices moving forward. I hope they will be inspired to be life-long musicians and musical explorers.
After a study of the music of George Gershwin that dovetailed with their WWII study in history, the entire middle school went to Broadway to see An American in Paris.
Students in chorus worked with Fred Meads from the American Boychoir School as part of the Choral Festival. At the Festival, they also sang with the Harlem Vocal Ensemble.
Students have been singing folk music and playing ukulele.
Guest artist, Andi Gunden came to teach swing dancing.
Zandi Sutton, a parent from South Africa, came to teach drumming and dance as part of our African drumming study.

