Habits and Reading Buddies: How are they connected?
These are some questions we ask when we think of the Habits of Heart- expressing kindness: by serving, welcoming, encouraging...
- Does the student balance his or her own needs with the needs of others?
- Does the child offer to share or offer to help others?
- Does the child greet others kindly and thank others courteously?
- Does the child care for those who are outside his or her circle - new students, younger or older siblings or students, people who are vulnerable, people who share the park or other spaces with us, etc.
- Does the child care for others’ ideas? others’ feelings? others’ things
Grade 6 students meet with their reading buddies in kindergarten and this is what they had to say...
"What I like to do with my buddies is listen. In this book, there was a boy who wanted to eat books. They had many ideas about this and many questions. I tried to answer their questions. I also ask them questions. "
"I get to know my reading buddy by asking her questions."
"I enjoy the conversations about the book but also about their lives. It's also nice that they get to choose the book and spot to read."
"I think I am teaching them that reading can be fun and they will want to read more."




