Story telling and singing our way to Spanish

Do you have a crazy pet or animal story?  A few weeks ago I told 
6th Grade students this a story about a snake that fell onto my mother-in-law's windshield while she opened her garage door.  My mom-in-law, got out of the car and found the leaf blower.  She blew the snake off only to have it slither into a hole in the wall.  There was screaming.  It was not the last time she'd see the snake but ask your child about it if you want to hear more.  I shared the snake story in Spanish and used the whiteboard, gestures and drawings to 


fill in all the details.  Sharing animal stories was a blast!    I've included one (as-is) story but visit our floor to read all of them which are displayed outside the Spanish classroom. 

As we complete reviewing descriptive vocabulary and using various verb forms, students are getting ready for the Tropical Rainforest Unit where they will continue to read, interpret and talk and create poems and artwork on various rainforest animals.  




In 7th grade Spanish class... 
we listen to Latin American music as an entrance into culture, world events, and the verbs we're using in class.  


I find our students care deeply about injustice.  They resonate with those who suffer. We looked at Brújula (compass) by Gaelica, a Venezuelan band that blends Irish music to their own South American roots.  We spoke about the challenges that have been ongoing for Venezuela, the overwhelming protests for a better way.  Gaelica has been singing for peace.  

Here's the chorus...  
 Voy siguiendo la brújula que tengo dentro.       Voy siguiendo solo una dirección...
 voy siguiendo mi corazón. 

I go, following the compass I have within.  
I go, following  one direction...
I go, following my heart."                                                         (Click on the link above to see their video).    


Students are reviewing textbook work, practicing how to conjugate verbs in the simple present singular form learning to use and simple future tense by using the verb ir + verb.  

Enjoy the music of Calle 13 and their song, Latinoamérica and another example of protest music.  

In 8th Grade Spanish class...
What makes a country special, beautiful and worth admiring or knowing?   



Students in 8th grade are investigating and writing about a Spanish speaking country of their choice, creating a travel brochure and creating a presentation about their country.  What stereotypes can we uncover as we investigate, wonder and learn about others?   Students are following a simple guide to create a cultural brochure, express their finding and gain greater oral fluency through their presentations.  The images and sounds of Spanish speaking countries fill our space.  We're also learning a wonderful song by Natalia Lafourcade...more on that later! 







¡Hasta pronto! See you soon.  

Popular Posts