Sixth Grade Memoir and Self-Portrait


Two weeks ago on memoir night, students and their parents gathered in the sixth grade classroom to celebrate sixth grade memoirs and self-portraits. Every year, sixth graders spend weeks reflecting on their lives and finding ways to show others who they are. They do this by writing stories and by creating a physical representation of who they are.

Student answers to the following questions: Did you learn anything about yourself during this project?
- I am more creative than I thought I was and more hardworking than I thought I was. 
- I learned that I am more diligent than I thought I was. 
- I learned how to open up. Sometimes it is hard for me to do that because I think that people won't like it, but the only opinion that matters is mine. I really liked this project. 
- I learned that I should listen to other people's opinions and mine, but sometimes I should let go of all the opinions. I liked this project because it helped me write personally and freely. 

What advice would you give students in future years? 
- Stay focused, work hard, do not procrastinate. Listen to the instructions. Have fun. 
- Don't stress about it because you are given the amount of time you need to finished, but use that time well. 
- They should just write like it is a normal day for them and let their perspectives show because you are doing this in front of parents and people who really care. 

Below, students are creating their self-portraits. 



Here are the final products that students created:

Popular Posts